A square tsuba

Bernard

Hello everybody,

Here is my square tsuba (6.9cm).

Probably not an example of great craftmanship, but nevertheless a pleasant piece, with its special form and shiny brass inlay. On the last pic, it is shown with my other iron/brass inlay tsuba. Do you think that the square one is also Heianjo school ? Any guess for the strange motif next to the nakago-ana ?

Regards.

Bernard D

post-4812-14196887303884_thumb.jpg

post-4812-14196887307639_thumb.jpg

post-4812-14196887309909_thumb.jpg

post-4812-14196887311607_thumb.jpg

Bernard,

both look indeed like KAGA YOSHIRO work, both nice ones! The square TSUBA might be of a later date - my personal guess. The quality can be seen in the fine and careful execution of the SHINCHU ZOGAN, the actual value will always be influenced by the condition and completeness of the inlays.

The 'strange motif' on the SEPPA DAI is difficult to see - looks more like a vertical snake or dragon to me than like a KINZOGAN MEI. Perhaps a later addition from an owner?

Congratulations again!

Very nice! As a newbie, I find most Heianjo tsuba a bit underwhelming, but these are indeed nice. Kaga Yoshiro work has always been pleasant though.

Can someone tell me what is up with the inlay in the seppa area on one side of the square tsuba. It looks like some partial inlay with some red color in the mix?

Bernard

Both are good examples of Heianjō-zōgan work, remarkable for the relative completeness of the brass inlay. This is fairly bright in two tsuba that have probably not been touched for a number of years, and both are probably later examples of the group.

The first depicts carnations (chanomi) and karakusa in brass suemon-zōgan on an iron plate, the second water plantain (omodaka), similarly rendered. I suggest that the ‘strange motif’ on the seppa-dai of the first tsuba is a collectors number ‘207’ in gold paint.

John L.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..