Hada of this blade

The blade is not a fake, and the seller is 100% legit. Let's be careful before we make assumptions, as the NMB has to stand behind much of what is said here.

As for the hada, doesn't appeal to me either. I doubt this is hitatsura. Could this blade be very tired, with lots of shingane showing through?

Brian

I'd rather someone ask Ted Tenold in on this one.

I don't want to anger Brian by talking about an ongoing auction- but my initial reaction at seeing this was, "D*m*, I hope someone takes a ballpeen hammer to the hand of the guy who did this." To me it looks that some of the other blades have had mild acid used in their polish. Perhaps this poor child was forgotten overnight...

Others look relatively okay.

The damage runs north of the horimono and pools all the way through the horimono. Just not cool...

Maybe if I had a few drinks I could find it groovey! But it currently looks like chemical landfill erosion to me.

Guest Simon Rowson

I'm going with the "core-steel showing through" argument.

The hagane (outer steel) appears to have more holes in it than my socks!

Simon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..