Military swords

wesley

the top one is a late WWII army sword, the blade is machine made and it is worth a few hundred in that condition. The bottom one is an army officers sword that was made in the late 30's or early 40's, it may have a machine made blade or a handmade blade, the value will depend on the quality and condition of the blade. No way to tell about the blade from those pictures

A few hundred US? The top one is still in good condition and still very sharp, the bottom one has lost its edge a bit. I took the pictures with my phone but can get more once I can use a decent camera. I don't want to sell them but other family members do. I think it would be shame to get rid of a part of my grandfather's history.

...and still very sharp, the bottom one has lost its edge a bit...

As info, those who collect swords as an art object care very little about this, especially seeing as the top blade is in bad state of polish and almost certainly machine/non-traditionally made. If it was in pristine polish, the mounts were perfect, and it was a "good" showato smith you would be lucky to get $1,500 for it.

Would love to see some better pics of the two including the nakago.

I will post some better pictures as soon as possible. Would I be able to polish them? The mounts are not perfect. I am pretty sure the bottom one's handle is ray skin or shark skin.

Which one is the nakago? And what does that mean?

And does anyone have more information on them? Like would they have been army officer swords?

Can you polish them? Yes. But the cost - even with an amateur polisher - will exceed the value of the sword. I just thought you might mean you personally. No you cannot polish it without destroying the blade - as would most amateur polishers.

Not worth it on the top one. Not sure on the second one yet.

The nakago is the "tang" under the wooden handle (tsuka). It may have the swordsmith signature (mei) and date (nengo) inscribed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..