Officer's Sword, Seki

CurtisR

Hello All,

I've recently found this sword in a friend's collection - pretty koshirae IMHO. I haven't fully translated the mei, but know it was made by a Seki smith and appears to have been re-mounted. It has a very tiny kanji (maybe 3-4mm) just above the top mekigiana that is not stamped but hand carved. Thought I'd post it for your enjoyment...

Cheers,

Curtis R.

post-2807-1419686195084_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196861956698_thumb.jpg

post-2807-1419686196992_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196861980992_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196861989264_thumb.jpg

I agree! It is probably out of my price-range (having another blade mounted in shirasaya & habaki made for it so *poof* goes my collecting $$ lol), but very pretty and the Tsukamaki is beautiful, even today. Also, the menuki are very thick vs. the standard ones seen on most Gunto. Not sure if the owner would like to sell it but I will certainly ask!

Curtis R.

Hi Curtis,

a pretty standard gunto, made by a known gunto kaji in Seki as you say. Nice fittings and condition. BTW when the suspension rings are found "moved up" like this, it is usually because some thin leather linings inside the top part of the loops have fallen out. If your friend gently slides the loops down a bit, uses a bit of paper to slip under the top decorated portion and traces the shape around the edge onto some thin leather then re-cuts a couple to fit the shape and slips them in, the loops should stop back at their original correct position. This position is adjusted by the thickness of the leather

I am interested in what you call tiny kanji handcarved in the nakago above the mekugi-ana. I suspect it is in fact a Seki stamp, but if it is hand carved kanji as you say, can you post a clear pic for our "Arsenal Stamps" file please?

Regards,

Thanks Denis! When I looked @ the saya closely I saw a slight indentation exactly where those in your photo are.

And George, I will post a pic asap for the stamp library if I can get in that close (man, I need a macro lens!). I did a hand-drawing of it under a magnifying glass, just in case. I'll also pass on the positioning information as I'd hate to see them scrape up the saya. When I asked it he'd like to sell, he said he thought he'd keep it a while. Hopefully not a long while though :)

Curtis R.

Hi Curtis and Jareth,

I will pass your comments on to the swords owner, and yes the whole set up is very appealing. No its not mine, it turned up at an arms fair. It was shown to my friend, who called me to look at it, I confirmed what it was, and was then offered first refusal. Not being a collector of gunto I turned it down, my friend then went ahead and did a deal. I have borrowed it on several occasions to show on his behalf, and in truth it is to my regret that I passed on it, its total overall finish is to be admired.

As an aside it was purchased from the Tenshozan forge, and was retailed through their store, they produced swords and dirks for Naval officers,who could custom order the sword and fittings. The blade is of rust resisting steel.

As a much younger man I admired the twin of this sword (but not as nice!) in the Greenwich Maritime Museum,London. That sword can be seen in the Fuller and Gregory military swords 1868-1945, Page 57, plate 77.

Cheers Denis.

For Mr. Trotter and all,

I attempted to get a good clear photo of the kanji (and re-confirmed it's engraved, not stamped as I can see the "tap marks" under magnification) just above the mei, but without a macro lens it didn't work out well. Here is an accurate hand-drawn copy of it, and hope this will help for the Arsenal Stamp database?

Once I get a good Nikon macro I'll attempt another photo.

Happy weekend to all ~

Curtis R.

post-2807-1419686277308_thumb.jpg

I'm confused now Mr. Bowen...

If I've translated properly, the first kanji in the mei says "seki"? Then would the arsenal also engrave a second "seki" stamp in tiny kanji above? (or perhaps the order was reversed....tiny stamp in the nakago and then the mei after completion perhaps?

I love a good mystery :D .

Many thanks,

Curtis R.

It's not too complicated...The smith signs the blade, and in this case, includes the location where he worked (Seki). This is rather common. Since the sword was made for the military, it gets inspected, assembled, and inventoried. At some point, either someone with the military or the factory where the sword was made, placed a small stamp on the blade. Also very common.

Curtis,

What Chris is saying is that the mark isn't some random carved kanji, it is the standard Seki stamp that is seen on arsenal blades.

It may look hand cut, but logic says it must be the usual stamp.

Do you have a close up photo?

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Apologies for the time it's taken to get/post this image of the arsenal stamp...and yes, after re-examining it, it looks to be stamped vs. hand-carved.

In any event, here is the image - I could not find the "arsenal Stamp database" to put it there, so if someone could do so, or direct me there?

Best Regards,

Curtis R.

post-2807-14196863584453_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..