Dewa Gassan ayasugi

Marius

Well, I have recently bought a tanto with a prominent ayasugi hada. It has a shape typical of Muromachi, nagasa 21cm, slightly machi okuri, polished dwon, suguha hamon, pretty weak.

It is signed Gasasan. Of course, the signature is far off what I coul find in Fujishiro. Pics are attached.

I know that there have been other sword makers in this period who have produced hada similar to the classic ayasugi. There is a good article on "Ura Japan" nihonto - http://www.nihontocraft.com/Ura_Nihon_no_Toko.html

However, this ayasugi is identical to some papered Dewa Gassan swords, including one with NBTHK TokuHozon.

What is your take on that one and your opinion on ayasugi hada? Is it a true Gassan trade-mark, hard to copy or was this tanto made to resemble Gassan?

post-309-14196854894712_thumb.jpg

post-309-14196854898395_thumb.jpg

post-309-1419685490184_thumb.jpg

Hi Mariusz

There is a Ko-Gassan blade in he Royal Armuries museum which is very similar to your piece. The hada looks to create the ayasugi around pools of mokume (not a good description but the best I can come up with at present)

Regarding the mei numerous smiths working together at this time were signing Gassan. therefore it is not unreasonbale that there would be considerable variation in the characters

Based on shape , hada and hamon I dont think there is too much to doubt about it.

Best Regards

Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..