Hideki TOJO Sayagaki

mdiddy

Hello,

I recently got a chance to visit the MacArthur Memorial in Virginia Beach. They have a number of items that MacArthur brought back from Japan, including two of Hideki Tojo's katana and another katana purported to have belonged to Tomoyuki Yamashita. Prior research by others (http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/tojo.htm) suggests the katana in Shin Gunto mounts is signed Sukesada and dated 1509, and that the katana in Shirasaya is likely Yamato. I could not find any information on the sayagaki on the shirasaya which I hope would give specifics on the Yamato katana. Would someone be willing to translate the sayagaki?

I have also posted some pictures of this sword. There was nice sunagashi in the hamon. Overall though, all three blades were unfortunately showing some rust, grime, and aging. If anyone is interested I have many more pictures of the Sukesada and Yamashita's katana, which looked to me to have some sudare-ba in the hamon.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

post-951-14196829550293_thumb.jpg

post-951-14196829553864_thumb.jpg

post-951-14196829558813_thumb.jpg

post-951-14196829561752_thumb.jpg

post-951-14196829564564_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. What does the sayagaki say? Any reference to the school or swordsmith?

According to other's research, the Shin Gunto is a Sukesada dated 1509. In some of the period photos from the exhibit you can see the Shin Gunto on a katanakake behind a crowd gathered over a wounded Tojo. However, I don't think the Shirasaya can be seen in those photos. Begs the question a little.

Since my last visit to this thread it seems an editorial intervention has been made...So it seems I have to enter the fray. The translation {In rough} is.............

"Shoud BW Robinson find this before the Yanks please send my sword to Lindus San who lives in Cornwall Kuni, who when studying Rugby, engendered a lust for Scrumpy,Pasties & wanton girls from St.Ives"

I doubt the US will send this fathers son his rightfull possession,which he would sell to a Latvian dealer who intern will pass onto a French collector in Paris.

I await the US government parcel....................coming your way Jean.

:) Roy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..