Tsuba restoration

Akitombo

Guys,

There have been a number of recent threads with reference to using all types of cleaner on tsuba.

With this in mind, can I get a discussion going on the ways, which are in both Japanese and Western texts for SAFE restoration.

The main two I am thinking of are, first, leaving old iron tsuba out in the morning dew to get their colour back.

Boiling old iron tsuba, some added various items to the pot.

Also the the ideas of just handling old tsuba, oils in the hand add to the finish and taking a clean cotton cloth and keep rubbing them.

The leaving out in the early morning has, I do not know the scientific reason, worked for me.

With Ford's imput and othered seasoned vets on this board.

What is the modern thinking for simple old iron tsuba which have been mis-used?

Look forward to your replys

David

.....can I get a discussion going on the ways, which are in both Japanese and Western texts for SAFE restoration.

....What is the modern thinking for simple old iron tsuba......

SASANO-SENSEI used to carry TSUBA in the pockets of his trousers for restoration purposes. This meant some work for his wife who had to repair the pockets from time to time!

As I have learnt, restoration on high quality TSUBA is a very slow process in that it tries to respect the natural forming of oxides on the surface. Removing loose rust with suitable instruments of horn, copper, ivory or wood, exposure to natural air humidity while protecting from rain, and regular rubbing with dry cloth should restore the natural beauty.

Oil or wax should be avoided because rust can continue it's destructive work under such protective coatings.

"Tsuba fussing" is a great name that is often used for what you want to do. Recommendations that I have heard and seen in practice are:

1. put the tsuba in your blue jean's pocket and let your walking around etc. gently rub the tsuba.

2. use ivory pieces to rub the rust off. Whatever you use must be harder than red (bad) rust and softer than black (good) rust.

3. using choji oil on the rusted area

4. boil the tsuba in distilled water - dry compoletely after boiling

5. put the tsuba in a freezer to freeze the rust off

I RECOMMEND NONE OF THE ABOVE - IF IT IS WORTH RESTORING GIVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL FOR A PROFESSIONAL RESTORATION.

If it is not worth restoring then sell it and get one that is in such good condition that it does not need restoration or buy one that is worth the restoration and get it professionally restored..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..