Copper Tsuba Cleaning

Thekirsh

Hi All,

I would like to ask for advice on restoring this recent pick up.

The front of the tsuba has remnants of what could be a clear varnish? and the reverse side has been given a light spray of gold paint :roll: .It also has a few dents which will have to stay I guess.

Thanks Simon K

post-47-14196826583672_thumb.jpg

post-47-14196826586077_thumb.jpg

Oh dear....... Damned if you do and damned if you dont type of situation. If its worth cleaning up, then perhaps thinners for the paint coating? alcohol alone will clean the crud off and I would give that a try first merely because it often solves this kind of problem but is dependent on what kind of paint or lacquer is on there. Whatever you use it cannot be an abrasive. Any attempt to remove the paint/lacquer other than by chemical solvent means, will ruin any patina that (hopefully) lies beneath.

Hi there Simon,

why don't you talk to Ford Hallam about sending it to him

for re patina. It would be a small price to have a perfect

tsuba back in your hands. If he would do the job for you

of course.

You are never going to be happy with what your own efforts

leave you with as a finnish.

Alan

Thanks Guys

Keith - I was thinking exactly the same, obviously nothing abrasive but would thinners destroy patina?

G'day Alan - your right of course but my next question would be does the work look any good? Its unsigned ? are copper tsuba hard to come across?

Thanks Simon

Simon.

To be honest I dont know if patina would be destroyed by thinners. I would think not, but one can always try a small area on the rim or better still with a cotton bud on the inside of the nakago ana if there is doubt. At the end of the day its your call and its always better to leave alone or get some professional help if in doubt. But that gold paint or lacquer is really offensive....... it may be worth the risk if the tsuba is worth the restoration process. In that regard however, where estimates of age school and relative rarity are at issue, I claim no expertise.

Simon,

Patina won' be hurt by thinners and acetone will be better

and won't hurt the patina.

Ford Hallam is one of the most talented guys around and made

his living at one time restoring metal vases and pieces for antique

dealers in London. His ability is well known on this forum. Hirata Hikozo utsushi

is a link to a tsuba that he made in the For Sale section here.

Alan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..