Translation assistance please on tsuba from Norisuke Book

Curran

Dear Morita-san,

Your reading was extremely helpful. I thought I read "Ichimonji", but that I must be wrong. I could not read it all.

No, I do not own this tsuba. I have seen this design and it is papered by the NBTHK as "Ono" Tsuba.

The "Ono" tsuba does not look like Norisuke workmanship to me, but it is sometimes hard to tell.

I like both Norisuke tsuba and Ono tsuba. I keep one good example of each. My collection is small.

Some day I hope to find a good example of Norisuke copy of Yagyu "Waves and Moon" style design.

Curran

Attached: Norisuke tsuba- joint work c.1851-1852

post-51-14196779095079_thumb.jpg

post-51-14196779101077_thumb.jpg

Paul and Morita-san,

Here is the link. The tsuba has been up for sale for a while:

http://www.sanmei.com/contents/media/tuba_guard1633.htm

Appropriately enough, being sold from a shop in Nagoya. Have a go at it if you like. Price is good (just my opinion).

I didn't understand the "Ichimonji" until last night. I had forgotten that Ichimonji was one of the many art names of Norisuke. That makes much more sense now.

Curran

Morita-san (can I say sama if truly grateful ?)

Yes, that is the book, though I didn't bother reading the last character. Published by Nagoya NBTHK at some point.

For Norisuke, I think the "Big Blue Book" (Owari Tosando ____) is also very good, though I have minor disagreement about their opinion on signature varaitions between Gen1 and Gen2 of the Norisuke family. The Big Blue Book has some nice examples not seen in the Futabayama Norisuke (Ko) book.

Curran

Hi Curran san,

"san" used among friends.

please use "san" or 1st name Kiyo. :D

I ordered the used bookstore the book[Futagoyama Norisuke Ko, (二子山則亮考)] today for my study.

It arrive at my house couple of days.

Ko( 考 ) means, think, thinking about,consider,study, .

"Big Blue Book" that you say is may be [Tsuba-smiths in Owari and Mikawa area. / Owari to Mikawa no tanko(尾張と三河の鐔工).].

This book is costly.

Kiyo-san, (Morita-San)

I do not see it as "Sold", but the browser always takes me to English version of the website. :? Well, maybe I helped find this tsuba a good new home or it just was fortunate to sell now. Crane motif is not my favorite, -though I like it paired with longevity turtle. But for some reason I love good Norisuke tsuba, and will wonder if this is really a Norisuke tsuba. I wish I could see it in person.

I don't know why I always confuse the "Big Blue Book" and call it the Owari Tosando book when I know the correct name is "Owari to Mikawa no tanko". I purchased the book used from a friend at a good price and it was one of the best book purchases I have made. When I was a foreign exchange student to Japan , I wanted to be sent to the Kyoto area. Instead it is good I was in Nagoya area, as many of the things Nihonto I appreciate are more from this area.

This tsuba is in the Owari to Mikawa no tanko book:

http://www.sanmei.com/contents/media/tu ... d1575.html

It is the face silhouette of a chuby cheeked girl. I like this tsuba and the Kunitomo school, but it is beyond my budget these days. I've been tempted to try and negotiate trade+cash with them, but never know if this is polite. Some dealers don't mind. One or two do. I have only purchased books from this shop.

Morita-san: do you know of any Japanese references or articles on "Kozenji" tsuba (Owari kinko artists)? There is almost nothing in English. I have a tsuba papered to this school, and I continue to look for more information. To the best of my knowledge: There is nothing in English.

Hi Curran san

The "Norisuke book"[Futagoyama Norisuke Ko, (二子山則亮考)] arrived to my house today.

I read this book for the first time, I thought that it is Norisuke-tsuba researcher and Norisuke collector's Bible.

To read the book,i will change the former translation a little because i understood their writing-habit of shosho characters.(next posting).

About Kozenji tsuba, please wait for couple of days, i ordered some materials(books) to used bookstore today for my study.

And pls check here. This is Kozenji tsuba.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/tsuba_001/e/a31ee ... 68a30fee3f

post-191-14196779388986_thumb.jpg

post-191-14196779390146_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is the book. The Norisuke tsuba I have is the design shown as Shodai's signed 1851 work, but the example I have is done by the nidai with the Nidai's early signature "Norishige". The design is simple, but it is one of my favorite tsuba.

Thank you for the Kozenji link. That is a very good blog.

I wish to understand any kantei points for Kozenji tsuba, but I find it very difficult other than the heavy use of keyfrett (or old "brocade") design. With the Kozenji tsuba I own, the design is done by gold wire inlaid into the shakudo and polished flat with the shakudo. Maybe this is typical of Kozenji.

Curran

Wow. The Ono-Norisuke looks better in your photo than it did in theirs. Came with a better quality box too?

It is more balanced in perspective and imagined on a sword at the waist rather then 8 inches wide and 10 inches tall on my workstation monitor. Not much one for cranes, but wish I owned it ;) I am still 1 over my limit currently.

I am very obliged to you for Kozenji tsuba information. I know next to nothing about the group.

When I found mine, it was via poor photos that made it look brown iron and both wife and I thought the keyfrett pattern was painted on. When it showed up and we realized the gold was wire inlay, it made me pause. I had no idea what it was. The only drawback is small catalog collection number painted on the seppa dai. I do not know how to remove it without risking damage to the shakudo, so I'll live with it. When the NBTHK papers came back to me years ago.... I wondered "what the hell school is this?"

Curran

I wouldn't say she indulges so much. She wonders why I ask her opinion sometimes.

My reason is that she has a great aesthetic sense and can cut to the core of the appeal or lack there of with lightning speed. We don't always agree, but sometimes her deconstruction of a tsuba design is insightful to me in a way that borders on Ford's ability as an artisan to view certain tsuba. Signatures mean nothing to her. Workmanship does.

She's particularly harsh on Higo "button" tsuba and certain "caveman" tsuba. Never the less, I remain on the lookout for certain ko-katchushi or ko-tosho designs.

She likes the Otsuki you have, though not fond of deer.

I've passed some by because of her opinion, but also only noticed 2 or 3 gems because she stopped me and made me look closer at them (online images). The Kozenji is one of them.

I think it was either Tom Helm or Ted Tenold that near dies of a laughing fit one day when I shared that she described a well known brown Hazama tsuba of Rice Bales as "looking like Serena William's butt checks". Women....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..