Omi-yari 80cm nagasa

Dear all,

I came accross this nice omi-yari (80cm nagasa / 38 cm nakago - I guess the nakago as been cut a few centuries ago).

As as I am not familiar with omi-yari, I did a few research on internet and you have 2 different schools, some say omi-yari were for high ranking samurais, other say it was for low ranking foot soldiers.

What do you think?

It is signed though I don't know if the signature is genuine and I would say beginning of 17th century.

Would you say it is koto though?

Do you think it is worth having it repolished or is it better keeping it like that?

Due to its size, I guess repolishing + habaki + shirasaya will be in the $3000 range...

Thx for your comments

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7599/dsc0416mk.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3706/dsc0413z.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/963/dsc0409a.jpg

post-162-14196777496418_thumb.jpg

post-162-14196777504887_thumb.jpg

post-162-14196777516217_thumb.jpg

Eric -

I agree with John on the reading - however there are at least 20 artists that signed Daido and according to the Nihontoko Zenshu the Mino ni-dai and san-dai both used Izumi no kami. I have no references for Mino smiths so cannot help with examples for comparison.

Whatever it is its a neat find...

-t

Dear all,

I came accross this nice omi-yari (80cm nagasa / 38 cm nakago - I guess the nakago as been cut a few centuries ago).

As as I am not familiar with omi-yari, I did a few research on internet and you have 2 different schools, some say omi-yari were for high ranking samurais, other say it was for low ranking foot soldiers.

What do you think?

It is signed though I don't know if the signature is genuine and I would say beginning of 17th century.

Would you say it is koto though?

Eric, your lucky..at least yours has a mei to help identify it, I purchased this one on ebay a while back and have no idea when it might have been made or who might of made it. I also read that they were for high ranking samurai. 100_6370-1.jpg

The yari was the king of non-projectile weapons on the battlefield carried by ashigaru and higher ranks of samurai. Even after the advent of teppo-ashigaru units there were units of ashigaru with polearms, slings, sekikyu (石弓) and yumi seconded to them. I don't think there was any rank distinction given the right circumstance. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..