Importing to the UK

Mr Nolan

I am a complete novice at this having yet to purchase anything (katana is the preference)

Having perused dealer sites for the past few weeks there is certainly no shortage of items that would fulfill my requirements, But,they mostly seem to be in either Japan and the States, there seems to be only one prominent dealer in the UK and the prices seem high compared to similar items from abroad, the only thing that's holding me back at the moment is that I need to be aware of any pitfalls in importing from Japan or the states or another EU country specifically with regard to customs, I certainly do not relish the thought of spending a good few thousand pounds to have item pawed at by some jobsworth customs official.

Is there any system whereby you can bypass this sort of thing by perhaps having some sort of prior agreement with customs? I did note on another thread that one or two UK collectors have had no problems but others have had items held up.

All advice on this matter would be gratefully recieved so thanks in advance.

Nolan

There are many swords in the UK and really there is no need to buy from abroad for your first sword.

Paul Bowman (UK based collector) is selling a few Hizen swords in the classifieds of this site. That should be your first port of call.

I would also recommend you consider joining the Northern Token Society:

http://www.northerntokensociety.org.uk

Nolan, Do not be unduly concerned about imports. You simply have to go through a delightfully orchestrated ballet that goes something like this: HM Customs and Revenue will seize the sword and write to tell you that you are a vicious, horrible criminal trying to import an illegal weapon. You then reply to say that you are not and give written evidence from the vendor that the sword is antique. They then, after a suitable wait to make the point that they are in control, pass it to another section who decide the duty payable. They of course don't look at anything other than the price and hence levy duty at the full VAT rate. The sword is then released and you have to pay the full amount plus the £13 or so added by Parcel Force (who have been payed to deliver it anyway). You then write to HM Customs again and point out the obvious fact that since it was released, they have acknowledged it is an antique and that it should have incurred only 5% duty. After a suitable wait again, they will accept they overcharged and will remit the excess charge; again taking a sufficiently long time to put you in your place for your temerity in suggesting they made a mistake. Absolutely no problem.

What is important is that they get a piece of paper from the vendor who assures them that it is an antique and hence over 100 years old, or that it was made before 1954, or that it was made by a registered Japanese swordsmith. These are the exceptions in the amendment to the act. This bit of paper can then go into the file and they are covered - the whole point of the exercise. They take absolutely no notice of anything attached to, or stated on, the parcel. Make sure you have separate copies of all the documents and send them copies of those so that when they lose them, you can send them again.

Ian Bottomley

Just to add an additional point to Ians comprehensive summary. the ease or otherwise with which swords come in is very much dependant on the shipper. Based on personal experience the best (although usually the most expensive) are Fedex. The worst by a very long way are parcelforce. This may have improved since the dreaded Coventry International hub subcontracted their customs clearing, I think to UPS, but I have not had any direct recent experieince.

Although frustrating and time consuming generally you get your piece and end up paying the right tariff. The path can sometimes be rather frustrating.

Regards

Paul

ps Thank you Peter for the recommendation I didnt see it until after I posted the original response

Paul

Hi Mr Nolan

Yes swords in the UK can seem to be somewhat more expensive than abroad !!

Depending on what you have in mind and price there are lots of Uk dealers.

There are also lots of Arms and Militaria fairs and auctions etc all around the UK.

Depending where you are in the UK someone will point you in the right direction .

ps. check some of the links on the message board there are some UK collectors and

dealers sites and the for sale section also.

good luck

ray

Gentlemen Thanks for your input, I will just make one point about labelling, I recently brought in a pair of French bronzes from the States, I was informed they were waiting at the nearest Parcelforce depot and would be released on payment of duty, I went prepared to pay the full 17% but was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were levied at the 5% as the sender had specified on the customs invoice that the items were Antique.

Thanks again and I will keep you updated

Nolan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..