Yoroidoshi

pauljbv

I just got this yoroidoshi from a friend who has an antique shop.

Any ideas as to age? It's unsigned. Nagasa is approximately 12 3/4" (32.4cm) long and 7/16" (.44" or 1.1cm) wide at the habaki. Tang is kiri with beveled finish. Blade shape is unokubi-zukuri and hamon is suguha.

It's a nice sturdy piece with simple fittings.

post-944-1419674893324_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748937002_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748940345_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748945061_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748947697_thumb.jpg

The nakago looks unusual, and not in the style a tanto is usually finished in. It definitely looks shortened from a long tang, which might well make it a shortened yari of kikuichi style.

It is also a little (make that a lot) long for a traditional yoroi-doshi. Nice condition though, I love this style of blade. Let me know if it ever comes up for sale :)

Brian

Thanks. It does makes sense that this is a kikuchi yari with a shortened tang. It does have all the hallmarks: shortened tang, form-shape, length and the history of this style yari being a likely candidate for alteration.

I've added a few more images. Maybe they can provide more hints as to the age. I am speculating later than Nanbokucho. But then, perhaps I'm basing that on what it is now, a yoroidoshi, as opposed to what it was originally, a yari.

post-944-1419674895094_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748954237_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748957256_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748960481_thumb.jpg

post-944-14196748966219_thumb.jpg

Not much to add. The forging looks a little rough, much like many yari. They didn't always put as much care into the forging of a spear as a sword (yes, I know there are many exceptions)

Mounts are, I think, later, so I stick with my guess of a remounted yari. I doubt hada and/or hamon will lead to a closer attribution of age.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my halfpennyworth, I also think think that this is a cut down Kikuchi yari, the nakago has that huge width across the back shown in the picture of the cut, absolutely Kikuchi nakago. Looks like a nice blade too. Anybody any idea of age ? Chris F.

It's an impressive blade. NIce shape and hamon, although, as mentioned, with typical forging work for such a utilitarian weapon. I'm in the dilemma of deciding whether to keep it or not. I'm not a tanto collector but it's got character.

However, I'm still curious about its age. Late war-time Muromachi, perhaps?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..