Saya lacquer technique...name?

Ron STL

Hi all -

A friend just brought over a wakizashi (non-descript wakizashi) with an interesting laquer technique on its saya. Personally, I do not recall ever seeing this style of lacquer before. Maybe it is not lacquer and is something else, but lacquer is my guess. Can anyone tell me what this is called? The handashi fitting on the saya are shakudo but look Meiji era to me and as I said, the blade is nothing to speak of.

Ron STL

post-2327-14196843388722_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196843391148_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196843394399_thumb.jpg

It's malachite, a copper ore and very toxic stuff to work with. In my years of collecting I have seen only one sword with a malachite saya and "somewhere" on my archive hard drives I have some photos of it with very nice fittings. A very nice and seemingly very rare lacquer technique, similar to the chips of pearl shell sometimes seen.

BaZZa.

Morning all,

If you notice the varying sizes of the roundels, it looks like the original source for the malachite may have been a graduated necklace.

The beads being sliced and smoothed into the roundels we see here.

I have had several 19th century graduated bead necklaces (Chinese manufacturer, mounted for the European market) in Malachite, Lapis Lazuli and various banded Agates.

Just a thought...

Cheers

Thanks for solving this mystery. At first, I was doubtful about this being a mineral (Malachite, called "Kujaku-seki/ishi" in Japanese) but seeing the explanations and the examples referenced, I'm convinced. It always surprises me what these Japanese craftsmen could do. My friend who owns this wakizashi is taking it to the big Louisville, Kentucky, show this weekend, in case anyone on-line is attending the show. He will also visit the Frazier museum to see the Samurai exhibit which ends the end of this month; I mention this as a reminder. If anyone can post more examples of malachite on saya, please do so. It is a learning experience!

Ron ST>

Ron,

Here are some photos of a Koshirae I have. I do not know if it is "Malachite" or "Azurite".

Perhaps someone knows the type and material.

It is a mix of green, red and amber flakes.

[attachment=3]IMG_6280.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]IMG_6281.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_6282.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_6283.JPG[/attachment]

/Martin

Good morning all,

I think the speckled shell finish is called "Aogai" - あをがい

I was told the overall term for the application of cut and polished pieces of shell, ivory or stone is "Raden" 螺鈿 らでん

Application of the shaped material to the base can be figurative or random.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..